TCF Bank contract with University ending

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The University’s partnership with TCF Bank will not be renewed after its contract expires at the end of February. Although there will no longer be a TCF Bank branch on campus or in the Champaign-Urbana area, Mark Goldman, director of corporate communications at TCF, said students who bank with TCF don’t need to panic.

All of TCF’s on-campus ATMs will remain open until at least May 18. Goldman said the company continues to make improvements to its mobile and online banking platforms to increase convenience while eliminating the need to visit a physical branch. In addition to the guarantee of ATMs and online access, students should take comfort in knowing that their account will not be affected.

“TCF is committed to serving the needs of the student population and we believe that students will continue to benefit from TCF product offerings — particularly checking and savings accounts,” Goldman said. “Any student that maintains their account with TCF will continue to enjoy the same benefits and the same account structure that they do today.”

However, Goldman said students who have their TCF Bank account attached to their i-Card will no longer be able to use that service as of Feb. 28.

“No student will be expected to close or switch bank accounts as a result of the contract ending,” said John Ealy, Senior Associate Director of i-Card Programs at the University said, in an email.

Students will still have access to their accounts, but will be required to use their TCF issued card. Students who do not have a TCF card should call TCF Bank’s toll-free number or visit the on-campus branch before Feb. 28.