Marvel’s Bill Rosemann believes students can learn from superheroes

Bill Rosemann, Creative Director at Marvel Comics, talks about Marvel’s superheroes and how they’re connected to people’s lives at the Illini Union I-Rooms on Tuesday, Mar. 17, 2015.

By Samuel J. Cox

The latest in a long line of free guest lectures, from Nick Offerman to Stephen J. Nesbitt, the Illini Union Board brought Marvel Creative Director Bill Rosemann to campus Tuesday night. 

Having previously worked for Marvel in marketing and editing, Rosemann charted Marvel’s development from the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘60s to its feverish new heights. He suggested the company’s success could be attributed to the fact that their superheroes are both inspirational and relatable. 

“(They) have these powers (and a) moral code …but they are really about what it’s like to come of age, to grow up and be asked to make decisions you aren’t ready to make, or don’t want to make,” Rosemann said.

The lecture was cross-promoted by the Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center’s “Black Geek Week.” 

Rory James, director of the center and self-professed horror film geek, said that in an increasingly multicultural and diverse society DC Comics and Marvel “needed to showcase more African and African American, Latina and Latino, Asian and Asian American superheroes so that readers can see themselves reflected in comic books.” 

Jeffrey Tsai, Illini Union Board Vice President for Policy and sophomore in LAS, said the lecture series was focused on the educational awareness about different aspects of life, rather than on student entertainment.

In his lecture, Rosemann emphasized the educational benefits of studying superheroes. 

“You should never just sit back and passively absorb the pop culture that you are given,” Rosemann said. “Some people turn their nose up at pop culture, (but) any type of story that reaches millions and millions of people is worth examining, studying and thinking about.”

He concluded by expressing that Marvel’s fictional heroes should inspire regular heroes. Rosemann singled out college students as capable of accomplishing remarkable feats, even if they couldn’t vault buildings. 

“It’s great to watch movies and play video games where the hero saves the day,” Rosemann said. “You can be the hero, you can change the world.”