National Transportation Day funding event Thursday

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, or CUMTD, will be holding an event this Thursday as a part of National Transportation Infrastructure Day.

The purpose of the event, called Stand Up for Transportation Day, is to raise awareness for the local, regional and national long-term transportation infrastructure plight.

Jan Kijowski, marketing manager of CUMTD, says the event will focus on the advocacy for a new transportation bill.

“We are advocating for a brand new bill that provides a better source of funding and a more long-term picture so that projects that are necessary, and again its highways, roads, bridges, rail and public transportation, can be funded,” Kijowski said.

Karl Gnadt, managing director of CUMTD, will speak at the event, which will highlight a proposed project for an Interstate 57 and Interstate 54 interchange that needs funding. It will also touch on the need to upkeep buses, a plan to expand Illinois Terminal in downtown Champaign and a project for an off street transfer facility in downtown Urbana.

The event will be held at 10:00 a.m. on the second floor of the Illinois Terminal, located at 45 East University Avenue in Champaign.