Police arrest two men for possession, delivery of heroin near campus

By Daily Illini Staff Report

University police made two arrests after witnessing a heroin deal transpire just off campus Wednesday night.

The two men, one a 23-year-old Champaign native and a 30-year-old from Romeoville, were arrested for possession and delivery of a controlled substance, according to a press release.

Police received information that one of the suspects was planning to sell heroin that night near the intersection of Green and Neil streets. Police watched the drug deal transpire and approximated the amount sold to be valued at $70. Police stopped the vehicle, with both suspects inside, a short distance away from the scene after the deal occurred.

Patrick Wade, spokesman for the University Police Department, said the two were arrested around 11:45 p.m. Wednesday. He acknowledged that heroin use is a growing concern on college campuses that the University is trying to control preemptively.

“Our investigators have not worked a whole lot of cases involving heroin on campus, but we are aware of the issue and we understand that more and more students are starting to use heroin,” Wade said. “We have found discarded needles on campus bathrooms, we know that there are students that are seeking assistance for drug addiction… we’re putting a focus on this early and trying to head it off before it becomes and issue on our campus.”

The suspects admitted to having more controlled substances concealed at the time and a search yielded 13 rocks of cocaine and $370 between the two suspects. Wade said no one involved in the incident was affiliated with the University but note that it did transpire in an area with a high student population.

Wade said both suspects were arraigned yesterday afternoon and said he believes they were released on bond.