School of Music names Stephen Peterson new director of bands

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The School of Music announced the appointment of Stephen Peterson as its new director of bands in a press release Thursday morning.

According to the release, Peterson will assume artistic, academic and administrative leadership of the Bands program beginning August 16, 2015.

Peterson has served as a professor of Music and director of Bands at Ithaca College since 1998. Prior to his time at Ithaca, he was the associate professor of conducting and the associate director of bands for Northwestern University from 1988 to 1998.

In the new position, Peterson will also conduct the Wind Symphony; direct the graduate program in wind band conducting and advise master and doctoral theses; and teach courses including advanced wind band rehearsal techniques and literature.

Denise Czuprynski, director of communications in FAA, said Peterson stood out for his extensive experience and she believes he is in the “prime of an illustrious career.” Czuprynski said Peterson’s wife, Elizabeth, will also be joining the staff as a clinical professor of music.

“Together, they’re going to be a great team,” Czuprynski said. “They really respect our bands. We have so many fabulous students and faculty in the program, we’re really impressed and excited about it.”

The position at the University came down to four finalists, including Emily Threinen of Temple University, Glenn Price of the University of Cincinnati and Scott Teeple of the University of Wisconsin.