Urbana man sustains gunshot wound to the face Wednesday night

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Mark Washington, 21 of Urbana, was found shot and in a parking lot of an apartment complex in Urbana on Wednesday night.

Police were called shortly after 10 p.m. to a report of several gunshots being fired in the area of 3rd and Hill streets and at around 10:35 p.m., officers responded to a report of a gunshot victim at an apartment complex in the 1200 block of Brookstone Court.

Urbana police Detective Doug Pipkins said upon arrival, police discovered Washington in the parking lot of the complex with a gunshot wound to the face. Washington was able to communicate to police that he was shot in the area of Eads and Romine streets in Urbana, but could not say much more.

Washington was transported to Carle Hospital for treatment and is currently in a medically-induced coma, Pipkins said.

There had been no reports of shots in that area prior to Washington’s report and police did not find evidence of shooting in that area. Pipkins said the shooter has not yet been identified and according to the press release, details of Washington’s condition are not yet known beyond that he is in a coma.