University of Illinois at the Capitol tomorrow to push for higher-ed funding

Several members of the University of lllinois Board of Trustees, as well as other University leaders, will accompany alumni for the seventh annual University of Illinois Day at the Capitol on Thursday.

President-designate Timothy Killeen, President Robert Easter and Chairman Edward McMillian are several representatives from the University that will be in attendance. This marks the second year in a row that the trustees have scheduled their regular meeting to coincide with the lobbying effort organized by the University of Illinois Alumni Association.

The Board of Trustees members will attend a regular board meeting Thursday at 8 a.m. in the Public Affairs Center and will meet afterwards with legislators.

According to a press release, issues addressed will include “state funding for University operations and capital projects, relief from burdensome procurement regulations that create delays impose additional costs in purchasing goods and services.”

Tom Hardy, executive director for University relations, said the University is going to be advocating for funding for higher education in the state of Illinois and said “the University of Illinois in particular should be a priority” when it comes to funding for higher education in the state.