Food Truck Rally series to kick off next week

A pizza from the wood-burning oven at Dragon Fire Pizza truck in Champaign on Saturday, June 20.

By Chris Reinhart

Starting June 30, foodies will have the opportunity to take part in a new dining experience at the Food Truck Rally Series, an event to be held on the last Tuesdays of June, July and August from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Urbana Civic Center.

The event, hosted by the City of Urbana Community Development Department, will feature a group of food trucks at the Civic Center, and patrons will be able to sit outside or indoors to enjoy food and live performances. Entertainment will include live music, face painting and an activity tent for children.

In the past, food trucks have parked at Urbana’s Market at the Square on Saturdays, but this is the first time they’ll all come together at once for a Food Truck Rally. 

“This is the first time the city of Urbana has ever done anything like
this,” said Natalie Marquez, marketing coordinator for the event and
director of Urbana’s Market at the Square.

Some of the food trucks at the first event will be Burrito King, Dragon Fire Pizza, Hendrick House, Piato To Go, ROKs Korean BBQ Tacos, Tang Dynasty and The Pop Stop.

ROKs Korean BBQ Tacos is a new food truck in Champaign-Urbana, and owner Randy Moon is excited for the opportunity to participate in the Food Truck Rally.

“I think it will be good for all of the food trucks in town,” Moon said. “Also for my business as well and the community.”

Moon also said he is working on creating a vegetarian item for his food truck, so vegetarian options will be available at the Food Truck Rally. 

Research Park has also been hosting food trucks in its parking lots each day. Many of the food trucks that will be featured in Food Truck Rally can be found at Research Park at various times throughout the week. A list of trucks can be found at Research Park’s website.

“The U of I Research Park has been good for business. It’s given us the ability to reach a diverse customer base that would otherwise be hard to reach,” said Dave Saam, owner of Dragon Fire Pizza.

creinha2@dailyillini.com