Smithsonian exhibit coming to Mahomet in 2016

A Smithsonian exhibit will be coming to Mahomet next year.

The Museum of the Grand Prairie will host “Waterways” from mid-July to late August of next year.

A partnership between Illinois Humanities and the Smithsonian is what would bring the exhibit to smaller communities through the nation

“Waterways” will feature a several exhibits pertaining to water and it’s relation to human life.

“Everything from the role of rivers in settlement patterns and transportation in the 19 century,” said Matt Meachem, program coordinator from Illinois Humanities “all the way up through contemporary policy issues including fracking and its impact.”

The goal of “Waterways” is to increase awareness of the environment and eco-stewardship, the Smithsonian’s website said.

Each location will also bring elements that will make each stop different,

“The local host organization will present not only the Smithsonian exhibit itself, but a locally focused companion exhibit that will discuss the same subject matter in reference to local culture and history,” Meachem said.

Mahomet was one of six towns among 18 applicants in the state of Illinois that would host the exhibit.

“it was a very competitive application process,” Meachem said. “The Museum of the Grand Prairie is obviously an excellent facility and they made a really strong case for the alignment of the exhibit with their own mission of considering the nature between nature and culture.”

Mahomet’s exhibit plans to explore the Mahomet Aquifer, an Aquifer that services 15 different counties in Illinois, as well as water use within Champaign County.

There will also be some public programs in conjunction with the exhibits to teach the community more about water.

The other towns that will hold the exhibit are Franklin Grove, Carbondale, Lawrenceville, Valmeyer, and Channahon.