UI launches new site in anticipation of 150 year anniversary

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The University will celebrate its sesquicentennial — or 150 year — anniversary in 2017; but it’s never too early to start planning.

In anticipation of the anniversary, the University launched a website surrounding the 150th year. The site’s home page, which can be found at 150.illinois.edu, displays various pictures from around campus with the slogan “Shaping the future since 1867”

Sarah Zehr, the Director of Operations for the Office of Public Engagement, said the website has been in the works for over a year and a half.

“Students may not realize that this milestone is coming up, but it’s actually exciting that the University has been around this long,” she said. “It’s cool to look back and see the changes that have occurred.”

The site features pages about the University in general, major projects, events and even a timeline of major University moments. Zehr said that the timeline is a work in progress because they are encouraging people from across campus to submit any events that they remember.

Additionally, the site gives visitors a chance to “share your story”, a section on the site where students, alumni or community members can submit any memories or stories they have of the University.

The University is planning on hosting many different events throughout 2017 to commemorate the anniversary. On Feb. 28, 2017, the University will hold a cultural event open to all of campus to kickoff the sesquicentennial at the Krannert Center.