University joins Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success to make college applications easier

By Daniel Corry

The Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success announced a plan to improve the college application process for high school students on Sept. 28. The coalition will create a set of free online tools for high school students who are applying to college.

Over 80 colleges are involved with the Coalition; Julie Peterson, spokeswoman for the coalition, said the schools believed working together would help them improve the application process.

The coalition hopes to “recast the college admission process from something that is transactional and limited in time into a more engaged, ongoing and educationally reaffirming experience,” according to a press release.SO

According to the Coalition’s website, the schools created the new process because of research that showed students “from disadvantaged backgrounds” do not effectively get involved in the college application process. As a result, some qualified high school students do not go on to college or complete their degrees.

“The new platform will give students concrete tools to help them plan for college throughout high school, and then, later, to apply to specific schools,” Peterson said.

The application will require students to provide information about their interests, self-reflections and recommendation letters. Students can ask counselors, teachers and employers to review their application and offer advice. Students will also be able to reach out to schools they’re applying to for guidance.

These tools will help all students, but they will be especially helpful toward students at under-resourced schools who typically do not receive the same opportunities.

The college planning tools will be available in January 2016 and the application will be available in June 2016 for students applying to college in fall 2017.SO

“This should make it easier for students to communicate who they are as individuals, and we hope it will reduce the stress of the fall of senior year, which right now is like a mad dash for the finish line,” she said.