University secretary to retire

By Jason Chun

Susan Kies, the Secretary of the Board of Trustees, will end her 24-year-long career at the University in July. 

President Killeen announced Kies’ decision to retire Thursday by in a University Massmail sent to University employees. 

“I’ve been working towards retirement for a long time,” Kies said. “Instead of worrying about the University, I look forward to enjoying the University. Taking in all the things it has to offer in the community and University.”

Kies has worked with the University since 1993; she first served in faculty and administration roles for the College of Medicine regional campus at Urbana. She later became the associate dean for academic affairs/curriculum development for the college.

Kies was appointed as the University secretary in 2011. During her tenure, she helped incorporate new technology that made the office, “more efficient, effective and transparent.”

“I would say that she oversaw one of the most critical offices within the University with a great deal of professionalism and loyalty in a way that improved the office through the use of technology,” said Thomas Hardy, University spokesman.

Killeen said he is unsure of when the search process will take place but he hopes the new secretary will be chosen while Kies is still in the office in order to provide a smooth transition.

“I have really enjoyed working for the board, we have a terrific board,” Kies said. “The U of I is my alma mater, my children’s and my husband’s. I’m very proud of the university and very proud and happy that I had the opportunity to be a part of it.”