UI announces $24 million in cost saving intiatives

President Timothy L. Killeen takes notes during the board of trustees meeting at the Illini Union on March 12, 2015. Killeen announced recently that he is confident the University will return to face-to-face instruction in the fall.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The decision was prompted by a committee appointed by Killeen in preparation for the impending budget cuts to the University from the state of Illinois. The committee was chaired by Christophe PierreCC, vice president for academic affairs, and included the provosts and chancellors of each campus and faculty.

The purpose of the committee’s formation was to address cuts the University expects to see following Gov. Bruce Rauner’s announcement of a 31.5 percent cut in the allocation of funds to the University of Illinois.

The spending cuts will include eliminating a central account in which money was set aside to pay for the University’s IT system. The release described the system as the “backbone IT systems used for student accounts, human resources and business functions.” Additionally, another account holding $11 million to fund “critical deferred maintenance projects” will be eliminated.

Pierre said the spending cuts should not effect the University in a “drastic” way. For example, Pierre said, IT services and systems “will not be downgraded but certainly will be upgraded in a slower way.” Additionally, the University will not be able to invest as much in renovations and repairs.EJ

The committee will go on to “explore more cost-saving initiatives,” and similar cuts are being looked into on all three of the University’s campuses.

There are nine other public universities in the state of Illinois also affected by the projected cuts in funding. Presidents of the other Illinois universities have come together in “calling for an end to the budget stalemate,” according to the release.EJ

However, Pierre said no jobs will be lost as a result of the cost-saving measures.

“The idea was that we need to run the University efficiently and still protect the student experience,” he said.