One dead, one injured in shooting that caused vehicle crash Monday

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Jeremy O’Neal was pronounced dead at 6:05 p.m. at Carle Foundation Hospital, according to the Champaign County Coroner’s Report. O’Neal was in a vehicle carrying several passengers when it was shot at, at around 5:30 p.m. Police were then called to the scene, according to the police report. The gunfire caused an accident between the car carrying O’Neal and another vehicle.

O’Neal was the only person involved to be pronounced dead. A 19-year-old in the vicinity of the accident was also hit by the gunfire and is being treated for non-life threatening injuries, according to the police report.

None of the other passengers in the car were injured.

Lieutenant Dave Shaffer of the Champaign Police Department said the identity of the offender is currently unknown and that police are talking to a “variety of sources” at this point in the investigation.

“There’s a lot of information out there, we’re still trying to sort through everything to find out what’s fact and what’s fiction at this point,” he said. “We are talking to a number of people who report to have information and/or reside in the area.”

Shaffer urged anyone with information regarding the shooting to come forward. Crime Stoppers is offering a reward up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest in the case, according to the report.

“If you see anything that raises concern, please call us,” Shaffer said. “If you haven’t spoken to a police officer yet and have information that you’d like to share, we would greatly appreciate a phone call.”