UI aims to become carbon-neutral by 2050

By Vivienne Henning

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson informed the campus community of the University’s commitment to the 2015 Illinois Climate Action Plan, iCAP, in a University Massmail Tuesday.

iCAP reaffirms the University’s goal to become carbon-neutral by 2050, with the possibility of reaching the goal early, in 2035.

The University originally signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment, ACUPCC, in 2008. The plan is a national effort to to unite higher education establishments to pledge to take action on climate change. iCAP is the University’s specific plan in accordance with ACUPCC.

“This plan requires the dedicated and sustained efforts of our faculty, students and staff to identify and implement the best sustainability solutions for our campus,” Wilson said in the Massmail.

She also explained how iCAP will require strategic up-front investments that will save money in the long run.

“Given the current budget uncertainty, we have a responsibility to carefully weigh the costs and benefits of any solutions,” Wilson said. “But we must consider all of our options.”

Wilson said the goal of iCAP is to help alleviate climate change and make campus members better attendants of the environment. She also invited students and faculty to come to an iCAP forum. The forum will be held Wednesday at 1 p.m. in the Illini Union Room A.

“We intend to serve as a model for campuses and communities around the world, while educating the next generation of sustainability leaders,” Wilson said.fm