Champaign County participates in 2015 SWEEP to end domestic violence

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

To promote awareness of family and domestic violence across the country, Champaign police along with members of other local law enforcement participated in The National Family Violence Apprehension Detail, also known as SWEEP.SO

The preliminary results for the 2015 SWEEP in Champaign County, which occurred Wednesday, yielded 11 warrant attempts and three arrests.SO

Champaign Police Department Sergeant Dennis Baltzell said this was the first year the Champaign police has participated in the detail.

He said the Urbana Police department, the U.S. Marshals Service, Champaign County probation offices, the Illinois Department of Corrections and the Champaign County State’s Attorney’s office also helped.SO

“It’s just a shortened term for a domestic violence apprehension warrant detail where agencies across the United States attempt to serve outstanding family violence warrants,” Baltzell said. “Once we had the warrants in hand, we split into teams and tried to serve those arrest warrants.”

The Annual Fire and Safety Report was published Oct. 19 and included information on a proposal to expand security cameras in Champaign, statistics on drug-related crimes and fire incidents that occurred over the past year.SO University Police Captain Tony Brown said the 2015 report used more information regarding domestic violence than the 2014 report.SO

As mandated by the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, the annual report now includes definitions of terms domestic violence, dating violence and stalking.SO

“There has been significant effort to raise awareness and prevent sexual misconduct crimes from occurring on campus,” Brown said.