New state law oversees fantasy sports

By Vivienne Henning

The proposed legislation was spurred from the growing popularity of online fantasy sport sites such as FanDuel and DraftKings. As the first of its kind in the U.S., the legislation aims to bring a proper balance of protections for fantasy players.

“We need a thorough debate over how to best provide this popular entertainment and protect players in Illinois,” Zalewski said in statement released Tuesday. “And my hope is this is a good framework to jumpstart that debate as we head into 2016.”

The new legislation will establish what constitutes as online fantasy gaming and ensure that it is not gambling under state law. It will also look to provide the best practices for daily fantasy players, such as preventing players from overplaying and allowing daily fantasy sites to check players for child support or tax liens.

Part of the new legislation also aims to prevent anyone under the age of 18 from playing daily fantasy sports.

Zalewski said that the goal is to provide players with sensible regulation that is welcomed by the industry and not for government to interfere.

“We have a chance here to put Illinois at the forefront of a new and emerging technology and to encourage responsible innovation, rather than stifle it.”