Two Urbana residents arrested for armed robbery of a pizza

By Marijo Enderle

Two Urbana residents were arrested Saturday on the charges of armed robbery after robbing a victim of a pizza, according to an Urbana Police report.

Urbana police were dispatched to the intersection of Springfield Avenue and Birch Street in Urbana around 7:30 p.m. after receiving a report of the robbery. According to the report, the victim said two African-American males, one of whom had a handgun, “robbed him of a pizza.”

Urbana and University of Illinois police officers as well as Champaign County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the call, and the Urbana police K-9 tracked the suspects south of the of the Lincoln Square Mall.

A Champaign Urbana Mass Transit Department bus driver, who was alerted to the robbery, notified his dispatch that he had picked up two males matching the description of the robbers nearby shortly after the robbery was reported; at the time the two males were still on his bus.

Officers stopped the bus near the intersection of Amber Lane and Philo Road and apprehended both suspects without incident.

A backpack one of the offenders left on the bus was searched and seized. The backpack held a Taurus .40 Smith & Wesson caliber handgun that was reported stolen in Louisiana, multiple small packages of marijuana and prescription medication.

The offenders were brought to the Urbana Police Department for questioning, where they were both admitted to involvement in the robbery. They were transported to the Champaign County Jail.

One offender was charged with armed robbery, unlawful use of a weapon, possession with intent to deliver cannabis and possession of a controlled substance. The other was charged with armed robbery.

According to the report, the investigation into the incident is ongoing. Anyone with information regarding the incident can call the Urbana Police Department or call or text Crime Stoppers.