University of Missouri president resigns following student demand

By Abigale Svoboda

Wolfe announced his decision to resign at an emergency meeting called by the university’s Board of Curators — the eight-member body that oversees the Missouri system.

The Washington Post’s Susan Svrluga reported at the meeting, Wolfe said his decision was out of love, not hate.

“I love MU, Columbia, where I grew up, the state of Missouri,” Wolfe said.

However, Svrlgua reported, Wolfe ultimately concluded resigning “is the right thing to do.”

The incidents gained national attention Saturday night when members of the university’s football team took to Twitter to announce they would not participate in any football activities until Wolfe resigned.

The tweet was sent by the Legion of Black Collegians and included the hashtags ‘#ConcernedStudent1950’ and ‘#MizzouHungerStrike.’

We are no longer taking it. It’s time to fight. #ConcernedStudent1950 #MizzouHungerStrike pic.twitter.com/mnPZBviqJF

— LBC (@MizzouLBC) November 8, 2015

Following the uproarious weekend, Svrluga reported seemingly the whole campus was calling for Wolfe’s resignation. Students camped out – one on a hunger strike, faculty members canceled classes, the football team threatened to boycott the remainder of the season and the student government association formally demanded Wolfe step-down.

In a public letter to the board, the Missouri Students Association wrote the campus has been suffering since the university was silent about the death of Michael Brown, who was shot in Ferguson, MO. in August 2014.

“Over the last 16 months, the quality of life for our students has only worsened,” the letter states.

We are publicly releasing our letter to the University of Missouri System Board of Curators. @umsystem @umcurators pic.twitter.com/CqsWMAZVwK

— M.S.A. (@MSAmizzou) November 9, 2015

The letter went on to state that as a result of the continuous comprising of black students’ safety and well-being the “campus climate has grown so tumultuous that all of our students are unable to pursue the very reason they attend this institution.”

Payton Head, the association’s student president, reportedly started the campus conversation about racism at the start of the academic year with a viral tweet about being called a racial slur once again.

In a statement posted to the board’s website, Wolfe stated he understands the frustration and anger of everyone involved.

“Why did we get to this very difficult situation?” It is my belief, we stopped listening to each other,” Wolfe said. “We didn’t respond or react. We got frustrated with each other.”