CPD investigating bank robbery

The Champaign Police Department is searching for a man suspected in a reported armed robbery at the First Midwest Bank, 812 Springfield Ave.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Champaign Police Department is investigating a reported armed robbery that occurred at First Midwest Bank, 812 W. Springfield Ave., around 9:30 a.m. Monday.

According to a press release from the CPD, the suspect entered the bank, produced a handgun, demanded money, and left the bank heading northbound on foot. No injuries were reported.

The suspect was described as an approximately 40-year-old 5’06” white male, weighing approximately 240 pounds with a “stocky” build. He was wearing a dark colored hat or mask, a blue and white plaid shirt, dark colored pants and white shoes. He was also toting a dark colored messenger bag and was armed with a dark colored handgun. 

Witnesses from the bank are currently being interviewed by officers and detectives from the CPD and the CPD Crime Scene Unite is processing the scene.

Lieutenant Dave Shaffer of the Champaign Police Department said the police are currently working on “following up on some leads” regarding the case and have received information from witnesses. 

Anyone with information regarding the robbery is advised to call the Champaign Police Investigation Division at (217) 351-4545. Information can also be reported anonymously to Crime Stoppers at (217) 373-8477. Crime Stoppers will pay a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.