UI reports record number of applications for the class of 2020

Colleen Dempsey

Colleen Dempsey The Daily Illini Applicants to the University of Illinois’ Urbana-Champaign campus increased 11.2 percent in fall 2015, from 34,033 applicants to 37,844.

By Samantha Jones Toal

The University system received 56,017 applications for freshman seats on its three campuses for the fall of 2016, according to a University press release. The apparent interest from students created a 13 percent increase in applications when compared to the 49,530 prospective students who applied to the University for the fall of 2015.JT

In 2015, the University adopted a single notification date, meaning the University no longer “wait-lists” applicants.

Instead, prospective students can apply to the University’s various honors programs by Nov. 1 and to general admission by Dec. 1. All applicants were notified on whether they were admitted Friday.

In a meeting with The Daily Illini’s editorial board, Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson said the University found the wait-list system resulted in some applicants feeling like a second-choice admit, thus causing the University’s yield to suffer.

Enrollment has increased continuously since 2011 and newly released fall 2015 enrollment showed a record amount of students on campus.

On the Urbana-Champaign campus specifically, freshman applications increased 11.2 percent, from 34,033 applicants to 37,844 applicants.JT

According to the release, applications increased among Illinois residents, African-American students and Latino students. Applications from students in Illinois increased 9 percent, applications from Latino students increased 22 percent and applications from African-American students increased 20.6 percent.

According to the press release, the University planned to accept around 22,000 students, anticipating a freshman class similar to the class of 2019, which was the second-largest in campus history at 7,500 students.

Despite a spike in applications to the Urbana-Champaign and Chicago campuses, applications on the Springfield campus are down slightly, the release stated. The Springfield campus will continue to accept applications until fall 2016 classes begin on Aug. 22.JT

President Timothy Killeen said that, with a lack of a state budget, “financial stewardship and ongoing efficiency initiatives” have given the University stability and the ability to channel resources to academic programs.JT

“The University’s reputation for quality is resonating with students from around the state and beyond, and our commitment to affordability is ensuring access to a world-class education that transforms their lives and paves the way to success,” said President Timothy Killeen in the press release.