Family of UI student offers $10,000 reward for information about assault

By Joe Longo

The family of a University student assaulted on Dec. 13 near campus is offering a $10,000 reward for information about the assailants. The reward is being offered until May 31.

The student was struck in the back of the head and subsequently collapsed around 1:14 am in the 700 block of South Sixth Street. The student was later taken to a nearby hospital.

The University of Illinois Police Department released a video shortly after the attack of four men walking together on South Sixth Street prior to the incident. One is believed to be the offender. The video also shows a mid-2000s Chevrolet SUV that investigators believe the assailants used to flee the area.

Pat Wade, UIPD spokesman, said the department is still investigating the crime.

“At this point, we’re hoping someone with valuable information can come forward and help. We really do rely on our community members to work as a partner with police to prevent violence,” Wade said. “They are our eyes and ears on the street, and that’s our best crime-fighting tool.”

While those with information are encouraged to contact UIPD, the reward will be coordinated through the family.Wade said the family is asked the department to inform the public that they do not wish to talk about the crime or reward.