Illinois replaces ACT with SAT

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Despite protests from the ACT, the decision was made to use the SAT after a state procurement process.

The board’s contract with the ACT expired on June 30, 2015. After reviewing proposals from organizations that wanted to administer college entrance exams to high school juniors, the board gave a Notice of Award to the College Board, which provides the SAT.

“We are delighted that, with this decision, more Illinois students will benefit not only from an assessment that provides more information than ever before about a student’s readiness, but directly links to resources that offer distinct opportunities to students, such as free, personalized online test practice through Khan Academy and college application fee waivers,” the Illinois State Board of Education said in a statement.

The College Board announced that the SAT would undergo changes that the Board would institute this spring. According to the College Board’s website, the proposed changes include an optional essay, free Khan Academy test practice, the removal of penalties for incorrect answers and a changed focused on more relevant vocabulary.

“ISBE will now begin the process of negotiating a contract with the College Board,” the Illinois State Board of Education said in a statement. “ISBE reaffirms its appreciation for the legislators who continue to support this commitment and who are working to find solutions for school districts during this critical time in our state.”