Chancellor search committee concludes series of input discussions

File Photo

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson speaks with The Daily Illini’s Editorial Board on Jan. 14 at the University of Illinois-Chicago campus. Wilson discussed the University’s search for a new athletic director, among many other University-related matters.

By Megan Jones

While the search for Urbana’s next chancellor has only just begun, the search committee wrapped up a series of open discussions with the community today. Times were set aside for individuals to voice their opinions, specifically for tenured faculty, academic employees, civil-service workers and undergraduate students.

Several campus groups were invited to come and speak about characteristics they’d like the next chancellor to posses, as well as to help the committee devise questions to ask during the interview process.

The committee’s event on March 17 had much better attendance than Thursday’s forum, with only three to four people attending, said Jami Painter, assistant vice president for human resources.

Painter also expressed the committee is meeting with other groups who request to speak.

A job description was recently posted on the Office of the Chancellor’s website, and applications and nominations will be accepted until May 13.

Painter said President Timothy Killeen has expressed the want for a chancellor by the fall 2016 semester, so the committee will be aggressively recruiting from now and continue into the summer.

Antoinette Burton, chair of the committee and history professor, said that the process will be a confidential search, with names not being announced until the final candidate is chosen.

The Greenwood/Asher search firm will be charged with checking references for all applicants. The search committee will continue speaking to smaller groups, such as campus deans and auxiliary areas.??

[email protected]?

@MeganAsh_Jones