Professor's sudden death a shock to student body

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Economics Professor Werner Baer passed away from a sudden and brief illness Thursday.ej The announcement was posted to the University Economics Department website.ej

“The Department and University have lost an enormous contributor to the common good: A talented scholar with a passion for teaching and research, and also simply a passion for life,” the post said.ej

Students have voiced their condolences over different forms of social media and around campus.

Matthew Bacon, junior in history, remembers Baer as an “old school” professor who showed up to every lecture ready to teach.ej

“I was incredibly shocked (to hear about his death) because I knew he was an older professor, but when I had him he had no signs of any health concern,” Bacon said. “He never missed a lecture; the one time we had a guest lecturer (Baer) was up there on stage talking with him.”

The Economics Department sent out an email to students within the department offering its support and ensuring that the classes that he taught would continue “with minimal disruption.”ej

“His teaching assistants are stepping up to lead the courses under full faculty supervision,” the email said. “All have worked with Professor Baer extensively over time, and they have the understanding and ability to carry out his objectives for the course.”

Professor Baer was well known in the University community and had been a faculty member since 1974. He specialized in Brazilian developmental economics and “was a critical interlocutor on Brazil’s economy.”ej

More information about services for Professor Baer will be announced, and according to its website, the Department of Economics will likely hold a memorial in the near future.ej