Illinois Supreme Court Justice to Speak at College of Law

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Illinois Supreme Court Justice Thomas Kilbride will be giving a speech at the University on Monday, Oct. 24 at 12:00 pm.

The speech, titled “Illinois Supreme Court Elections: Darned if you do, darned if you don’t!”, will be held in the Max L. Rowe Auditorium in the Law Building. Kilbride’s visit is part of a Public Engagement Lecture Series hosted by the Dean of the College of Law, Vikram David Amar, that is free and open to the public.

In an email, Amar said that for the past year the College of Law has been trying to connect the college with the legal profession.

“In addition to the legal scholars and law professors we always (and continue) to bring through the building, we are trying hard to expose our students, faculty and staff to leaders of the legal profession (such as judges and practicing lawyers and government officials) as well as related fields (like business and journalism),” he wrote.

Amar said he hopes that attendees will “gain a better understanding of the role that the Illinois Supreme Court plays in our system of government.”

“Most of our students will go on to practice before courts (many of them here in Illinois) for at least part of their careers,” he said. “So getting an inside view of how the Illinois Supreme Court operates, and what it is Justices think are important issues for students to be focusing on, would be invaluable.”