AARP announced the grand opening of Tech Nest at Research Park

The sign at Research Park.

By Karen Liu, Staff Writer

AARP and the University announced the grand opening of the Tech Nest at Research Park.

AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with a membership of nearly 38 million people. It aims to help people achieve their goals and dreams by changing the way America defines aging. AARP works to strengthen communities and promote issues that matter most to families as well as advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name.

As the latest addition to AARP’s Innovation portfolio, the technology lab is a 2,700 square-foot facility that focuses on innovation. It enables students and faculty to conduct leading-edge, technology-based research and to come up with creative solutions that address to the needs of the 50-plus population.

“The Tech Nest provides a unique opportunity to leverage the depth of our campus’ interdisciplinary research in aging with our strengths in data science and computing,” Chancellor Robert Jones said. “AARP adds a welcome new dimension to the experiential learning opportunities available to our students through the Research Park.”

The Tech Nest will focus on the development of prototypes in fields such as artificial intelligence, mobile applications, information security, biometrics and software engineering.

Jose Hernandez, vice president of IT Business Operations at AARP, said that AARP’s presence at Research Park is an opportunity for it to show up in a unique way and allows further disruption in aging by tapping into leading-edge, university-based research and talent.

“By working with the University of Illinois, there is an enormous opportunity to unlock innovation and product research and development that exists within one of our nation’s world-class universities.”