Crime Stoppers introducing new free mobile app for tipsters

Joe Longo

The new Campus Safety app allows students to access resources, safety alerts, and tips.

By Sabrina Yan, Staff Reporter

Crime Stoppers of Champaign County will launch a free mobile app as a new weapon to fight against crime beginning this Tuesday.

The app aims to be an easier and more efficient way for citizens to submit information about crimes and other serious or life threatening matters. The identity of the tipster will still be kept anonymous.

It will replace the old method of accepting tips through text messages. Unlike text messages, the mobile app has no length limitations and also allows images, video and documents to be sent. The Tips Line, 373-TIPS, and website, www.373tips.com, will still be in use.

As soon as a person submits a tip through either the Tips Line, website or mobile app, the individual will receive a TIP ID and password. This will allow them to login at p3tips.com, submit follow-up information through real-time two-way dialogue, stay informed on the result of the tip and access any pertinent reward information.

Crime Stoppers feels that it will enhance communications with the public, thereby building a safer and more trusting community in which everyone prospers.

To further show the value of tipsters’ contribution to the community, tips leading to an arrest will result in a cash reward.