Amazon@Illinois brings convenience to campus

Jessica Jutzi

Amazon Employees show customers how to use the easy, and fast, Amazon Pick up services located in the Illini Union Bookstore. All you need is your mobile device and code from Amazon to access the locker with your package inside. The pick up location’s Grand Opening was on Wednesday, November 16th.

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Staff Writer

After partnering with Amazon, the Illini Union Bookstore unveiled Amazon@Illinois at a ribbon cutting ceremony Wednesday morning.

The new service allows Amazon Prime and Prime Student members free same-day pickup for orders placed by 11 a.m. and free one-day pick up for orders placed by 10 p.m.

“I think this is such a unique and innovative store,” said Director of Amazon Campus Stores Jon Alexander. “It’s truly what I think college bookstores can and will look like in the future.”

Alexander added the company is  “really thrilled to help make life on campus just a little more convenient for the students of Illinois.”

Amazon@Illinois is the first same-day pickup location in Illinois, with the University of Illinois at Chicago following suit with Amazon@UIC opening later this year.

Xue Yan Chen, senior in engineering, was one of the first students to use the services on Wednesday.

Chen said there’s two advantages to Amazon@Illinois: the same-day delivery and that the package is delivered to a safe location and not left on a doorstep.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Renee Romano said partnering with Amazon is a “win win.”

Romano said she is glad to keep seeing innovative ideas implemented in college bookstores.

“As I look around and see the changes in this bookstore, I know our staff will continue to evolve,” Romano said. “We really appreciate the partnership with Amazon.”