Updated: Champaign Police make arrest in one of two recent bank robberies

The alleged robber in a surveillance photo at Busey Bank in Champaign.

Photo courtesy of the Champaign Police Department

By Joseph Longo and Vivienne Henning

The Champaign Police Department made an arrest in one of two bank robberies that occurred last week. Thirty-year-old Jeremy Larson of Champaign turned himself in on Saturday. Detectives learned “about Larson’s whereabouts and his desire to turn himself in; and at approximately 7:04 AM arrested Larson in the 1200 block of S. Mattis Ave, without incident,” according to a press release.

The bank robbery was reported at Busey Bank, 3002 W. Windsor Rd, around 11:00 a.m. Thursday morning.

The report said no weapon was implied or displayed, and no injuries were reported. Larson is being held for aggravated robbery. 

A suspect entered the bank, jumped onto the counter, announced it was a robbery and demanded money, according to bank staff. The suspect was given an undetermined amount of currency and the suspect then fled on foot in a northerly direction.

The other robbery at Regions Bank, on Tuesday, around 2:30 p.m., a bank robbery was reported at Regions Bank, 111 S. State St. No suspect has been arrested. 

During the robbery, the suspect had entered the bank and demanded money. The possession of a weapon was implied but not displayed during the bank robbery.

Champaign Police issued an arrest warrant today for the robbery. Meco K. Russell is wanted for  Aggravated Robbery. A bond on the warrant for his arrest has been set at $150,000.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Champaign Police Department Investigations Division at (217) 351-4545. Anonymous tips may also be submitted to Crime Stoppers by phone at (217) 373-8477 or online at www.373tips.com.

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for this crime.