Student body president expected to veto resolution

Student+body+president+Ron+Lewis+addresses+the+student+senate.+The+last+meeting+under+the+current+administration+was+on+Wednesday%2C+April+12.+

Brian Bauer

Student body president Ron Lewis addresses the student senate. The last meeting under the current administration was on Wednesday, April 12.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Illinois Student Government’s annual It’s On Us week of action against sexual assault was vetoed by Ron Lewis, student body president, despite being passed during the government meeting. 

As a part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, the Week of Action, April 3-9, is a series of workshops and discussions meant to bring awareness to campus.

To prepare, the now vetoed resolution called for $967 to be allocated for items meant to promote the organization’s brand, as well as a photo backdrop used for social media purposes.

Items such as key chains, water bottles and stickers were proposed to be given to students who sign the It’s On Us pledge. However, Lewis is skeptical that purchasing such items is the best use of the allocated money.

“I believe [the money] should be used on working with the Women’s Resource Center for events that surround Sexual Assault Awareness Month,” Lewis said in an email.

There are many fundamental things that need changing with the direction of Its On Us moving forward, said Lewis. 

Lewis hopes that, following his veto, It’s On Us will begin allocating money towards actively educating the campus on preventing sexual assault rather than promoting their brand.