Campus community bikes to work, promotes health and sustainability

Tuesday was the annual Bike to Work (or Campus) Day at the University. CU Bike to Work Day was organized to encourage members of the community to ride their bikes to work, in order to promote a healthy and sustainable transportation choice.

“The Campus Bike Plan sets the goal for increasing bicycle use on campus for staff, students and faculty,” said Lily Wilcock, visiting active transportation coordinator, in an email. “My office at Facilities and Services works very hard to encourage, engineer and educate campus about biking and the benefits of biking.”

The University Facility and Services set up four stations from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. to promote biking on campus.

The four stations were located at University High School, Alma Mater, Campus Bike Center and Campus Recreation Center. Each station provided information, breakfast snacks and t-shirts to the students and faculty members.

The organization also hosted a movie screening at La Casa Cultural Latina to celebrate Bike to Work Day and provided on-spot bike tune-ups.