ISG holds last meeting of the semester

The+Illinois+Student+Government+met+for+the+last+time+of+the+spring+semester+on+Wednesday.+Student+body+president+Raneem+Shamseldin%2C+junior+in+Business%2C+encouraged+members+to+work+on+resolutions+over+the+summer.+

The Illinois Student Government met for the last time of the spring semester on Wednesday. Student body president Raneem Shamseldin, junior in Business, encouraged members to work on resolutions over the summer.

By Leon Li, Staff Writer

The Illinois Student Government held its last meeting of the semester on Wednesday. Student body president Raneem Shamseldin, junior in Business, gave departing remarks to the assembly, wishing members good luck on their finals and encouraging them to take the summer as an opportunity to work on new resolutions.

She also spoke on the success of the constituent liaison event held this past Monday, noting that the event was the largest town hall meeting she has experienced.

In addition to departing remarks, an amended resolution was passed to encourage members of the ISG to complete the Kognito suicide-prevention training, a free online training module offered by the Counseling Center.

While the original resolution required members of the ISG to complete the training module unless they notified the student body president, an amendment called for the training to be voluntary out of consideration for the privacy of senators who would wish to opt-out.

“I think it’s important for us as student leaders [to go through this training],” said Senator Natalie O’Callaghan, sophomore in Education. “We’re doing this in order to make ourselves a stronger front in supporting students in need.”

Another resolution was passed to approve funding allocations for the Association of Big Ten Students (ABTS) 2017 Summer Conference, which the University is hosting in July. The ABTS is the collective network of student government organization in the Big Ten schools.

A resolution to urge the governing bodies of Urbana and Champaign to develop a comprehensive climate action plan, in part by endorsing a climate action “Report Card” developed by the iMatter Youth Movement, was referred back to the Community and Governmental Affairs committee. The resolution was not passed on the grounds that it did not have enough actionable content.

After a lengthy debate, a resolution to designate a new official logo for ISG, which recently changed its name from Illinois Student Senate, failed. The proposed logo, which depicts Altgeld tower, was rejected for a preference for the old logo and concerns of branding confusion.

Additionally, appointments to campus committees and boards were approved by the Senate. Elections for Standing committee chairs were also held. Senator Sadie Marks, freshman, was elected as Chair of Internal Affairs, and Senator Patricia Rodriquez, junior in LAS, retained her position as chair of Community and Governmental Affairs.