University to offer $40,000 reward in missing scholar case

Brendt+Christensen%2C+a+Physics+graduate+student%2C+was+arrested+in+connection+to+Zhangs+disappearance.+The+University+postponed+the+campus+wide+ceremony+honoring+Zhangs+life.+

Submitted photo

Brendt Christensen, a Physics graduate student, was arrested in connection to Zhang’s disappearance. The University postponed the campus wide ceremony honoring Zhang’s life.

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Interim Editor-in-Chief

The University and Champaign County Crime Stoppers will announce Monday evening a $40,000 reward for those with information leading to the arrest of the person, or persons, involved with Yingying Zhang’s apparent kidnapping.

Zhang, a 26-year-old visiting scholar from China, was reported missing on Friday, June 9 and has not been heard from since.

UIPD released video footage of Zhang entering a black Saturn Astra on Goodwin Ave. in Urbana. The license plate and year of the vehicle are unknown.

The reward was made at the request of Zhang’s family, who recently arrived on campus, and is funded through community donations, wrote Robin Kaler, associate chancellor for public affairs.

Those with information are encouraged to contact 911, UIPD at 217-333-1216 or email [email protected].  The FBI can be contacted at 1-800-225-5324 or online at tips.fbi.gov. Anonymous reports can be made through Crime Stoppers by phone at 217-373-8477 or online at 373tips.com

The $40,000 reward is not associated with the FBI’s $10,000 reward for those with information on the case.