Comic Con returns to Urbana for second year

The+second+annual+Comic+Con+is+taking+place+August+5+at+the+Urbana+Free+Library.+The+events%2C+running+from+11+a.m.+to+4+p.m.%2C+are+open+to+all+ages.+
The second annual Comic Con is taking place August 5 at the Urbana Free Library. The events, running from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., are open to all ages.

Wren Wheeling

Wren Wheeling

By Wren Wheeling, Staff Writer

On Saturday, August 5, the Urbana Free Library is hosting its second annual Comic Con from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Comic Con – sponsored by Illini Media and Peggy and Bob Podlasek in memory of Greg Bliss –  is open to people from all fandoms. Participants are encouraged to arrive in cosplay, but it is not a requirement.

Participants of all ages are invited to attend.

The day will start off with the choice of Harry Potter yoga in the Lewis Auditorium from 11 a.m. to noon, or live action role play with the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society in Cherry Alley from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Other events that are taking place during Comic Con include:

-Cosplay on a Budget in the MacFarlane-Hood Reading Room from noon to 1 p.m.

-Steven Universe™ Sing-Along in Cherry Alley from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.

-Cosplay Workshop in Lewis Auditorium from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.

-Superfight™ Contest in the MacFarlane-Hood Reading Room from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
-Speed Drawing Contest in the Lewis Auditorium at 3 p.m.
-Local Board Game Demos in the MacFarlane-Hood Reading Room from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.

There will also be activities available all day such as the tabletop RPG Pathfinder® in the Busey-Mills Reading Room, board games and video games around the library, and the Children Chibicon for younger participants.

Following the story line that a spell has been cast onto Comic Con, a non-player character will be wandering around the library to assign quests to willing participants who will need to save everyone from being turned into ducks.

Comic Con will end with a cosplay parade in the Lewis Auditorium at 4 p.m. where all cosplayers will have the chance to show off their work.

1 Comment
  • Jason Pankoke

Other than the “speed drawing contest,” don’t quite see how this Comic Con relates to, you know, comics. Other than they have a good collection of them to check out every day they’re open..