While students left campus, odd crimes still occurred

By Aaron Navarro, On air news editor

Though the bulk of University students on campus were off and away for the summer, Champaign, Urbana and campus police still kept themselves occupied. A couple of the standouts from their last 30 days of blotter include candy racks being thrown, intoxication and guns found at the Goodwill.

Burglary was reported in the 1100 block of Maplepark Drive around 5 a.m. on July 25. According to the report, the victim’s vehicle was entered and rifled through by an unknown offender. A bag of loose change was taken, and there are no current suspects.

A 29-year-old male was arrested at the Champaign Public Library on 200 W. Green St. around 4 p.m. on July 25. According to the report, two offenders used a fake account to rent out items from the library that have not been returned. One male was arrested, and the other was not located at the time of the report.

Multiple charges were reported at the Circle K on 1511 N. Prospect Ave. around 7 p.m. on July 25. According to the report, an offender threw a candy rack and a full drink at the worker after she refused to sell him cigarettes. The suspect is currently wanted on charges of battery and disorderly conduct.

Criminal damage to property occurred in the 4800 block of Windsor Road around 7 p.m. on July 27. According to the report, the homeowner said her daughter’s Power Wheels Jeep was taken from the front porch. The homeowner found the toy a few days later, but it was spray painted white. No arrests have been made.

Found articles were reported at the Goodwill on 912 W. Anthony Drive around 6 p.m. on Aug. 2. According to the report, Goodwill located a weapon in their donation box.

Public indecency was reported in the intersection of Healey and Third streets around 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 22. According to the report, student patrol reported seeing a male masturbating near a group of females on campus. The male was located and admitted to doing so.

A burglary was reported at the Crop Sciences Research and Education Center at 4202 S. First St. around 11 a.m. on Aug. 21. According to the report, a University employee reported that a University-owned gas generator with an estimated value of $2,300 had been stolen in 2014 or 2015.

A 22-year-old male student was arrested at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Iowa Street around 10 p.m. on Aug. 8 for an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in court. According to the report, the offender was initially stopped for bicycling at night without a light.

A broken umbrella was reported at the Campbell Hall for Public Telecommunication on 300 N. Goodwin Ave. overnight on June 26 to 27. According to the report, the broken outdoor table umbrella has an estimated value of $200.

Assist of sick and injured occurred in the 1300 block of Lincoln Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on Aug. 3. According to the report, the victim was too intoxicated to find her way home. After having medical professionals assess her, she was taken home.

A 61-year-old female was arrested for multiple charges on the 100 block of Main Street around 10 a.m. on Aug. 5. According to the report, the arrestee was intoxicated, publicly urinated and consumed alcoholic beverages and was yelling obscenities at a public bus stop with children present. She is being charged with public urination, open liquor container in public and crisis intervention with alcohol.

Credit card fraud was reported at the Domino’s on 1108 N. Cunningham Ave. around 11 p.m. on Aug. 11. According to the report, two offenders used an unknown victim’s credit card to make purchases.