Slice Factory comes a long way to campus

Exterior of Slice Factory on Green St.

By Haipei Wu, Staff writer

After delaying its projected March opening, Slice Factory should finally be ready for business in two to three weeks.

A Chicago-based pizza franchise, Slice Factory’s opening on Green Street would be its first college campus location.

Marco Pesce, contractor of J&G Construction which is working on the project, said the delay is due to setbacks with other employees and the inspection company.

“Some (construction workers) don’t come in time,” Pesce said. “We also called inspection. They take forever to come.”

As previously reported, the project on Green Street can be traced back to 2009.

Domenic DiDiana, founder and president of Slice Factory, said Champaign would be a “trial-and-error location” for the company’s expanding plan.

“Champaign fits our demographic,” DiDiana said. “Students wanting quick, affordable food.”

Ishaan Pakrasi, graduate student in Engineering, said he would a choose fast-chain pizza place like Slice Factory over restaurants.

“Old fashion pizza places are nice, but they are kinda slow,” Pakrasi said. “I’d prefer (to) get food quickly.”

The store still needs to go through the process of taking applications and hiring once the construction is done. A hiring sign is already posted on the half-furnished front door.

Pesce said it would take up to a month to have the business running.

“You know that’s how it is. Sometimes you get setbacks, but you get to move forward,” Pesce said.