ISG Director of the Senate announces resignation, response to DACA repeal introduced

Patrick Li

The Illinois Student Government meets in the Pine Room in the Illini Union.

By Leon Li, Staff writer

Director of the Senate Gabby Gendek announced her resignation last night at a routine Illinois Student Government meeting. Gendek will officially step down from her position before the start of the spring semester on Dec. 27.

In her departing remarks, Gendek, junior in Business, thanked the assembly for the opportunity to serve as a student representative and director, and reminded the senators of their promised commitment to the student body.

“Remember that the mission of the student government is to advance the collective interest of over 40,000 students that we represent,” Gendek said.

Since joining ISG as a freshman two years ago, Gendek served on numerous committees and was the first Director of the Senate after ISG, Illinois Student Senate, underwent a constitutional reformation in January to better reflect the three branches of the US government.

However, she announced that she felt it was time to move on.

“In the many positions that I have held, I have not been able to express my voice, and I believe it is time for me to do so,” Gendek said. “My commitment to this prestigious university and its students remains.”

Speaker of the Senate Sam LeRoy, senior in Business, expressed his lament for Gendek’s departure.

“It was a very hard decision to hear,” said LeRoy. “Moving forward, it’s very important for our organization to find someone who can meet the high standards that she has set as the first Director of the Senate.”

A resolution was also introduced at the meeting in response to the Administration’s announcement yesterday to officially rescind Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

The resolution formally condemns “the Executive Action’s effect” on undocumented members of the University, and calls upon the University Administration to support DACA recipients on campus.

The resolution was sent to committee to be worked out in greater detail.

Funding for the 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony was also approved. The ceremony will be held by ISG next Monday near the Illini Union, and will include an outdoor vigil and featured speakers.