Illinois Student Government looking for new logo

By Haipei Wu, Staff writer

The Illinois Student Government announced that they are going to hold a competition for its new logo as a way to better unify itself with the University.  

Raneem Shamseldin, president of ISG and senior in Business, said any students in the University would be able to participate in the contest, and the winner will be rewarded $250 credited to their student account.  

“We will advertise everywhere, but especially at where people study graphic design or fine art,” Shamseldin said.

The actual contest window is expected to take three-to-four weeks, according to David Alston, chair of the ISG Public Relations Committee and sophomore in Information systems and Information Technology. Once the submissions are narrowed down, the senators will vote on them.

Alston said that the University told ISG that its current logo is outdated.

On Aug. 14, in an attempt to unify its branding, the University made an official change of its own logo from the column “I” to the orange block “I”.

Aashay Patel, student senator in ISG and senior in Engineering, said there are guidelines for all University affiliated organizations, and ISG is expecting a closer relationship with the University by following its lead.

“(The branding would) bring unity to University activity,” Patel said. “So people know who is representing what.”

Kelly Song, senior in LAS, said that she thinks it is a good thing that ISG is changing its logo along with the University.

“It would be cool if we make a switch since we did hit on the 150 years mark,” Song said.

Richard Gonigam, technology coordinator of ISG and junior in LAS, said that the current logo of ISG is a simplified version of its former one, and the similar-looking logos have been used for almost 10 years.

“The logo we have right now is representative of what we have before,” Gonigam said. “(The branding is a) way for us to show we are in a new era … it is a way for us to take a breath and say we are here and we are new.”