Muslim Student Association kicks off Islam Awareness Week

The Muslim Student Association promotes

The Muslim Student Association promotes "Wear a Hijab Day" to kick off Islam Awareness Week on the Main Quad on October 9th.

Patrick Li

Patrick Li

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) is hosting Islam Awareness Week this week, which is dedicated to informing students about the religion of Islam. There will be a variety of events throughout the week centered around the theme for this year, “What Makes a Muslim: Exploring the Principles of Islam.”

Anushah Malik, junior in LAS and Social Work, is the Outreach Chair for MSA and said that this week is about showing people what being Muslim involves.

“It’s really important for us to just get the word out about what (it is like to be) Muslim, since a lot of people have misconceptions on what (it is like to be) Muslim,” Malik said.

For Monday’s “Wear a Hijab Day,” MSA members passed out hijabs, encouraging students to learn about the practice of wearing a hijab.

“We basically pass hijab to girls so they can experience what it’s like,” Malik said. “Trying (on the) hijab and attending the events (can show) what (being) Muslim is about.”

That evening, MSA hosted an event in Lincoln Hall for a discussion on modesty. Malik said the conversation focuses on people’s experiences and the meaning of wearing a hijab today.  

Throughout the week, MSA will host more booths on the Main Quad to foster conversation. On Tuesday, students will be able to spin a wheel containing different topics, such as prayer, fasting, charity, modesty and proclamation of faith for “Talk to a Muslim” Day.

“This week is our chance to show everyone what (being) Muslim is about,” Malik said. “Muslims are just normal people. You shouldn’t believe what’s on TV; that’s the wrong image.”

Afifa Chaudhry, freshman in Health Sciences, agrees with Malik on this week’s importance.

“It is a week for people to learn about what (being) Muslim means, especially to them in this century,” Chaudhry said. “The event is really fun and it is a really good way for people to get along and get to know what (being) Muslim means.”

4 Comments
  • Arafat

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, also an Islamist leader, has repeatedly rejected Western attempts to portray his country as an example of “moderate Islam.” He states that such a concept is “ugly and offensive; there is no moderate Islam. Islam is Islam.”

• Arafat

Yusuf al-Qaradawi is an extremely influential Islamic cleric and jurist. He spiritual leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, as well as chairman of the International Union of Muslim Scholars, president of the European Council for Fatwa and Research, and the host of a popular Al-Jazeera TV program about sharia. Qaradawi has stated that,
    “the shariah cannot be amended to conform to changing human values and standards. Rather it is the absolute norm to which all human values and conduct must conform.”

• Arafat

Dhu al-Faqar was one of the 9 swords owned by the Islamic Prophet Muhammad, and with it he claims he was “made victorious through terror.” Appropriately named “cleaver of vertebrae,” the ancient weapon was used to butcher his enemies who insulted Islam.

• RH

Do these moronic (non moslem) women not understand, wearing one of these stupid things, subjugates women? Oppresses women? Makes women 3rd class?
    It’s nothing more than conditioning women, so at the point political correctness runs its course, more moslems continue to flood the world, overpopulate and become the majority, it will be “easier” to get women to wear them ALL THE TIME.
    I do not understand this get-along-with-em-ism crap. They will not change, will not accept anything but THEIR ideas, will not stop until they have either destroyed the world, or subjugate the entire world into their backwards 13th century way of life.
    You’d think the so called “women’s movement” in the USA would fight crap like this, but because they want to “get along” they go along with it.
    FOOLS!