University responds to Suburban Express advertisement

By Jessica Bursztynsky, News Editor

University officials released a statement Sunday morning condemning Suburban Express, a transit company, after it released a holiday advertisement and follow-up apology posed against Chinese international students. The apology also critiqued how the University is run in regard to international enrollment.

“The University has no business relationship with this company. Their vehicles are not permitted to pick up or drop off passengers on university property,” said the statement, signed by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Danita Brown Young, Director of International Student and Scholar Services Martin McFarlane and Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies Reitumetse Obakeng Mabokela.

Even though students have the option of being picked up at Illinois Street Residence Halls, Altgeld Hall and the Armory, the company is allowed to drive through campus because the buildings are on public streets, said University spokeswoman Robin Kaler.

“They have tried — for example — hanging their posters in classrooms, and we take them down,” she said.

The University administration officials also noted that while the University cannot prevent the company from running its business, officials “can, loudly and unambiguously, say that the opinions expressed by Suburban Express are offensive, bigoted, insulting and in direct opposition to the values of this university.”

The statement concluded by encouraging customers to look into the company before purchasing tickets.