ISG passes resolution to boycott Suburban Express

The Illinois Student Government meets in the Pine Room in the Illini Union.

Patrick Li

Patrick Li

By Cori Lippert, Staff Writer

After a slew of controversial emails and apologies sent out by a transit company, the Illinois Student Government passed a proposal to boycott Suburban Express at its Wednesday meeting.

“As an international student here, I felt a lot of things when I saw the Suburban Express emails, but one thing I didn’t feel was surprised,” said Senator Rahul Raju, senior in Engineering.“In big ways and small, a lot of us international students, regardless of background, regardless of where we are from, we hear the same arguments. Some people say it in very stupid language, like Suburban Express did, others use milder words, but say similar ideas nonetheless.”

ISG passed a proposal which calls for ISG to boycott Suburban Express and for the company to stop picking up and dropping off students on campus property. The company currently utilizes Illinois Street Residence Halls, Altgeld Hall and the Armory.

Senator Walter Lindwall, junior in LAS, said the boycott would affect only Suburban Express and not Peoria Charter, a competing transit company.

This proposal also called for Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District to stop having Suburban Express advertisements on its buses.

Transportation Representative Jacob Rajlich, sophomore in Engineering, said MTD does not have legal standing to deny advertisement from a company just because it wants to.

Senator Jonathan Heideman, senior in LAS, called to remove the part in the resolution that asks MTD to remove Suburban Express advertisements because ISG can not ask to remove Suburban Express advertisements from other buses.

This proposal also asks to remove all Suburban Express advertisement from University property that does not comply with the student code. 

In a statement released Sunday, three University officials commented on the school’s relationship with Suburban Express.

The university has no business relationship with this company, said the letter signed by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Danita Brown Young, Director of International Student and Scholar Services Martin McFarlane and Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies Reitumetse Obakeng Mabokela.

Lindwall proposed an addition to the proposal that would call on ISG to support Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s investigation into Suburban Express and to help in any way the student government can.

“(Companies such as Suburban Express) make us feel, very often as international students, as second-class members of this University,” Raju said. “I tried my best to shake that off. I’ve tried my best to be as active member of this community as I can, but sometimes you always feel like you fall a little.”

Rajlich expressed his concern about Suburban Express during member comments of the meeting.

“As recent events have shown, there are issues with campus transportation outside of this campus and taking people elsewhere. I was shocked and astounded by the email initially sent out by Suburban Express as an advertisement,” Rajlich said. “I want to work with (international students), I want to work with everybody here on this campus to ensure that we have good transportation away from this University.”

40 Comments
  • Richard Smith

No question the owner of Suburban Express is a guy with serious problems, out of which xenophobia is neither the first nor the last.

While your feelings are quite important, “Senator” Raju, please kindly explain a little to the less educated among us the caste system in India. Which caste are you part of? (The name RAJU is a huge tell, for those familiar with Indian history.)

What kind of classist, unearned privileges it benefits from? Were you not from one of the dominant castes, would you even have access to an international education? How do you personally treat the “untouchables”? Would you marry one? Or even give her the time of day?

While it is indeed your right, as a visitor, to whine about how you feel like “second-class” (I wouldn’t know, I for one have many Indian friends and respect them immensely; they are not whiny and entitled like you, but show an incredible mental harmony and healthy sense of humor), perhaps it would be time to own up to how your caste treats second, third, and fourth-class Indian citizens in your own country.

After all, no country is perfect but it would be only morally adequate had you started your sociological inquiry with the flaws of your own.

Good luck in your studies. Indian students at U of I are exemplary community members and academic/intellectual assets we are proud to meet and greet and educate.

• March

Your reasoning here has at least two logical problems:

1) A points out “B is wrong”–whether A himself has or has not the same problem as B has is irrelevant with regard to whether the claim “B is wrong” is true or false; and more importantly, 2) the fact that some members of the group to which A belonged have or don’t have certain problem has nothing to do with A’s own moral situation.

Therefore, your argument is not very convincing.

• Richard Smith

Your reply here has only ONE problem. You think you are clever yet you communicate a big fat nothing.
        Whichever fake degree you’re pursuing, ask for your money back.
        You’ve been conned.

• Latisha

“March” is a racist. His “argument” is that if a Fascist loves kittens, we should ignore the fact that he is a Fascist, because he loves kittens.

What kind of reasoning skills do certain departments (humanities, most likely) teach to their paying prey, excuse me, students?

• March

“Latisha” is not only a racist, but also a ultra-rightist fascist.
            In addition: Your comment clearly shows your IQ is so low that you are not able to even understand what I had said.

• Richard Smith

So this is your idea of reasoned debate.

Well, to answer on your own level of “comprehension”, you are the intellectual and moral equivalent of pedophiles, cannibals, and sheep-buggers so any further discussion with you would be futile and, possibly, illegal.

“I didn’t say I am clever or not” [sic, I’ve been quoting your own grammar].

You didn’t need to say anything on that subject.

• March

Since the beginning I actually didn’t want to “discuss” with you poor loser; just out of sympathy for your poor IQ I tried to teach you something. But now, since your rubbish language has shown your level of education I have to say you are so stupid and therefore not teachable.

• Latisha

One hopes the authorities know about you March and don’t allow children to roam unsupervised around a horrid racist and dangerous reject like you.

• March

You should go to hospital; the doctors and medical professors there should like talking with you.

• Latisha

You seem very familiar with that environment, on the patient side. When did they release you on parole, you freak?

• Richard Smith

Latisha, do not argue with this sicko “March”. His idea of a debate is leaving his slimy imprint all over the place…. he belongs in an asylum.

• March

Oh dear Richard Smith, may God help you lead a normal life. We all hold sympathy for you.

• Latisha

“We”?

I can see your point, Richard. A case of multiple personalities, this “March” rapist, all repulsive.

• March

I would not say you Latisha repulsive (even though you ARE repulsive), because your are such a poor patient and patient needs care. And especially, you are such an extreme and rare case of illness that the medical professionals would really prize you.

• Latisha

“I would not say you Latisha repulsive” (sic) (…) “because your are (sic) such a poor patient and patient needs care (sic).”

Oh, another Affirmative Action genius strikes out. Clearly a College of Media star. Look at the admitted rapist’s use of language.

• Richard Smith

The saddest thing of all is that “March” is THE brightest liberal, rapist, pedophile (but I repeat myself) we’ve ever seen. (In the context of the other Democrats, of course.) He should lead the 2020 Democrat ticket. He is their last hope.

• March

Oh, maybe another breitbart lover? Why losers always love breitbart?

• Latisha
          • Richard Smith

Latisha honey, you’ll love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe9XYYzc6Og

• March

Very good. To write more and to continue to show you can write normally to the world.

• Latisha

Obviously Al Franken contributes to Daily Illini.

The dream ticket would be Al Franken / Jill Stein.

The FrankenStein Democrats.

• March

Go to read some decent books, maybe textbooks of primary school which fit your level wonderfully. They are better than Breitbart.

• March

I didn’t say I am clever or not–that is another both empirically and logically irrelevant issue.
          But what you commented shows you even don’t dare to (or are not able to) deal with a simple logical issue: you are just satisfied with the fact that you can perfectly con yourself.

• March

Suburban Express is a racist company. They should be boycotted.

• rheboo1

I agree

• Richard Smith

Thank you, rheboo1, for agreeing with me.

• rheboo1

I don’t agree with you. I agree with March.

• Latisha

Rheboo – another IQ lower than an amoeba who doesn’t understand a clear joke at his expense.

• Richard Smith

They are stupid and possibly racist.

On the other hand, March, you are genetically irredeemable, given the heavy burden your family history placed upon you.

Some day, the owner of S. E. may become less stupid and less racist.

On the other hand, your family affliction will never be healed.

• March

“Richard Smith”: I wonder what a losers’ family bore such a human reject like you. I have sincere sympathy toward your family.

• Latisha

He IS human. How about you March? Why do you wear so much hatred and racism in your puny heart?

• March

Welcome Latisha the ultra-right fascist to come here to show her IQ level again! You yourself are a perfect embodiment of “so much hatred and racism”.

• Latisha

You are a racist hater, a despicable human (? umm) being. Apparently you hate not only blacks but women too and fantasize about groping them. Are you a relative of Al Franken?

• March

Go to read your Breitbart. Your IQ deserves it.

• Latisha

Oh, you can spell IQ. Congratulations.

• March

It’s our responsibility to care patients like you.

• Latisha

“It’s our responsibility to care patients like you.” (sic)

Again, the liberal education in the College of Media (of which Daily Illini is a “shining” example) is illuminating.

• March

Have no time to educate you breitbart loves today. byebye! enjoy your breitbart and pizzagate!

• Latisha
    • rheboo1

I agree with you March