Campus resources help take the stress out of finals week

Sabrina Yan

The outside of McKinley Health Center located at 1109 S. Lincoln Avenue on Dec. 4, 2017.

By Yasmeen Ragab, Staff Writer

With finals week approaching, mental health and stress resources are being kicked into high gear at the University.

The McKinley Health Center, the Counseling Center and other campus organizations are all working to provide students with proper self-care techniques and stress management support to help students through finals week.

Around the time of final exams, McKinley’s Health Resource Center at the Illini Union offers students stress relief packs that contain items donated from a variety of businesses, including gadgets and tips, which help students during this stressful time.

McKinley’s Stress Management Educator Jennifer Carson, is available for individual appointments. Students can make an appointment by calling the Health Education Unit at 217-333-2701.

Online and virtual resources are also available for students who are busy or on the go.

“McKinley’s Wellness App connects students to a wide variety of health and wellness resources at McKinley and across campus,” said Carson said. “The app can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play.”

McKinley also has online relaxation exercises that include deep breathing, guided imagery and progressive muscle relaxation which can be downloaded for free on its website.

“These are a great portable technique for students to take advantage of,” she said.

The Counseling Center  also provides both individual and group therapy sessions that can be scheduled by calling 217-333-3704 any time after 7:50 a.m. Monday through Friday for same-day appointments.

The Counseling Center encourages students to call early to ensure an appointment that works with the student’s schedule.

According to its website, the Counseling Center uses “same-day scheduling” for first-time appointments because it allows professionals to reach students at the point of their greatest need.

If a student needs to reach someone in the evening or on the weekend, the student can call the Champaign County Crisis Line at 217-359-4141, which works with the Counseling Center to help individuals who need mental health support.

For students looking for a place to study during finals week, the Illini Union has study spaces available starting Dec. 14 until Dec. 22 from 7 a.m. to midnight in Room 104. On Saturday. The study space will be available until 1 a.m.

A number of finals-related events are occurring on Reading Day on Thursday.

The LGBT Resource Center will be hosting “Rainbow Study Break” from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. where students can relax, rejuvenate and spend time with friends before finals begin in Room 323 in the Illini Union.

Also on Reading Day, the Women’s Resources Center and Students with Families will be providing student parents an opportunity to study while their children do arts and crafts at the Women’s Resources Center located at 616 E. Green St. in Champaign.

Students can visit the Student Affairs website for a full list of events.