Assault of student leads to Campus Safety Notice

By Jessica Bursztynsky, News Editor

A University student reported aggravated assault/battery Monday evening, prompting the University of Illinois Police Department to send out a Campus Safety Notice.

The student was walking between the Illini Union and Altgeld Hall around 5:40 p.m. when four male suspects attempted to engage the student in conversation, according to the report. The student continued walking and was then struck on the head by one of the suspects “carrying a hard object in his hand,” the report added.

The four suspects are described as four black males in their teens.

“One male suspect was wearing a red and black Chicago Blackhawks coat; a second suspect was wearing a black shirt, gray hat with a ball and sweatpants. The third suspect was wearing a dark hoodie, and the fourth suspect had a dark coat with an orange scarf,” the report said.

UIPD is investigating the incident and is attempting to obtain video of the crime. Those with information are encouraged to contact UIPD at 217-333-1216 or to do so anonymously through Champaign County Crime Stoppers at 217-373-8477.

About the Writer
Jessica Bursztynsky, Interim Managing Editor for Reporting
I’m Jessica, and I’m a junior studying journalism. I started at The Daily Illini my sophomore year as a news reporter, worked my way up to news editor and had a brief stint as interim editor-in-chief. I’m spending this semester as managing editor for reporting. If I’m not doing journalism, I’m running, eating brunch or...
1 Comment