Shots fired at Urbana house party

Kenyon Edmond

A police car is parked in front of 804 W. Springfield Ave.

By Jessica Bursztynsky, News Editor

Two people suffered gunshot wounds after multiple shots were fired at a house party on the 800 block of West Springfield Avenue this morning.

Officers received calls about a shooting around 2:04 a.m., according to an Urbana Police Department press release, and arrived at the location shortly after.

A 21-year-old female University student is being treated for a non-life threatening gunshot wound to the leg, and a 23-year-old Champaign woman has a non-life threatening gunshot wound to the back.

Upon investigation, officials said at least five offenders attempted to enter the house party, which police estimated to have around 200 people in attendance at the time, but were denied entry.

Two people were witnesses to the denied entry, according to the report.

The offenders proceeded to rob the two witnesses of their personal property.

“As the robbery was being committed, several people from the house party came outside and the offenders began shooting,” wrote Lt. Richard Surles of the Urbana Police Department criminal investigations division.

One gunshot entered the house and struck one of the two women. UPD declined to provide additional comments.

Those with information or video/camera footage of the incident are encouraged to contact the Urbana Police Department at 217-384-2320. Those wishing to remain anonymous can contact Champaign County Crime Stoppers and leave a tip at 217-373-8477.

The investigation is ongoing.

10:20 a.m.

The 21-year-old woman has undergone surgery and is described as stable, according to an updated report. The 23-year-old woman’s condition is serious, but stable.

11:52 a.m.

University Police Chief Matthew Myrick issued a campus safety notice alerting the community of the shooting.

“Although this crime does not represent a continuing threat to campus, we wanted you to be aware,” Myrick wrote.

UIPD will continue to update the community as developments are made, the notice said.