RSO fair opportunity for students to get involved

By Niani Scott, Staff Writer

The Registered Student Organization Involvement Fair will take place on Wednesday at the Illini Union, with over 100 organizations planned to be present at the event.

RSOs, fraternities and sororities from across campus will be showcasing their organizations and encouraging new membership, said Dementro Powell, assistant director of student programs and activities, in an email.

The fair is an opportunity for students to become more involved on campus and exposes them to groups that may interest them, Powell said.

“Students develop quicker when surrounded by a support group,” Powell said. “Sometimes being in an organization can create a life-long connection, especially in the academic, pre-professional, fraternities and sororities.”

Incoming students will have the opportunity to explore various organizations on campus through this event.

“With regards to transfer/study abroad students, who may be coming in now without a ‘Quad Day’ to sign up for activities, the Involvement Fair offers an opportunity to integrate into the UIUC community, which greatly helps their sense of belonging,” said Mike Duong, senior in engineering and president of Adventure Club, in an email.

Adventure Club takes expeditions around campus in search for places that are fun to visit.

“Being involved in something not strictly academic helps foster a sense of fellowship, and it can definitely help with a general sense of fulfillment,” Duong said.

There are RSOs to fill everyone’s interests, and if it doesn’t exist, the University’s resources make it easy to start one, he said.

“I think it’s important to be in a RSO because it’s a good way to meet people and break out of your shell,” said Shail Aamir, junior in chemistry and vice president of Delta Phi Omega Sorority. “All of my closest friends in college are because of DPO.”

Duong said joining an RSO helped him learn “soft skills” pertaining to communication, socialization and leadership, which were not taught in his classes.

“Joining an RSO has allowed me to develop and practice a lot of these social skills that I will be using in the future to communicate effectively in the workplace,” Duong said. “In addition to that, organizations serve as a sort of career network.”