Agricultural company Monsanto comes to Research Park

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

The global agricultural company Monsanto opened its Innovation Center on Thursday at Research Park.

The center will employ more than two dozen students who will use data science, information technology and engineering to find innovative solutions to agriculture problems, according to a news release.

“Students will have the opportunity to tackle problems that have a wide range of potential outcomes,” said Laura Bleill, associate director of Research Park. “(This is) an opportunity for students to apply what they’re learning in coursework to Monsanto.”

Students who are studying electrical engineering, user experience design, mechanical engineering, software engineering and imaging sensor science will be eligible to apply.

Bleill said it’s “solidifying an opportunity for students coming right out of the university, across majors from engineering to data analytics.”

The center has employed seven student interns and will continue to recruit students from the University.

“Currently, there is already a team of agricultural communications students working on a project relating to education and outreach,” Bleill said.

Students can apply online through Research Park’s website and at Research Park’s career fair next month.