Third arrest made in connection to largest Campustown drug bust

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

A 29-year-old male was arrested on Tuesday following the largest Campustown cocaine dealership bust last October.

Oscar Aguado-Cuevas was arrested in a car on campus while his home was being searched by the police, said University of Illinois Police Department Lt. Joe McCullough.

Aguado-Cuevas was arraigned on Wednesday with two Class X felonies: unlawful possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance and unlawful criminal drug conspiracy.

Each charge carries mandatory prison sentences ranging from nine to 40 years upon conviction.

The police found only a small amount of hallucinogenic mushrooms, psilocybin and a loaded shotgun during his arrest Tuesday night.

Aguado-Cuevas is additionally charged for a large amount of cocaine connected to a drug bust at a Campustown apartment on the 300 block of East John Street on Oct. 1.

UIPD was said to know of Aguado-Cuevas since October, but they obtained the search warrant for his home only on Tuesday.

Two men, Daniel Sagan, a former University student, and Adolfo Robles-Valdez were arrested last year.

UIPD used a confidential informant last year to buy cocaine from Sagan, leading to a search warrant on the former student’s apartment where UIPD found around 400 grams of cocaine with a street value of $39,860, about two ounces of cannabis, 3.6 grams of Ecstasy, over $1,000 in cash, electronic scales and plastic bags.

Robles-Valdez’s truck was also searched Oct. 1, where two cellphones and $9,450 in cash were found.

Aguando-Cuevas  told Sagan that he and Robles-Valdez were related, connected to a drug cartel in Mexico and Aguando-Cuevas regularly transported illegal drugs to the Midwest from Texas, totaling more than $1 million.

Sagan told the police he had been selling cocaine from Aguado-Cuevas since last January.

Sagan is currently free on bond awaiting trial on the charges of manufacture or delivery of between 100 and 400 grams of cocaine, which could land Sagan in jail for nine to 40 years. His trial is March 20.

Aguando-Cuevas’s bond is set at $1 million, and he is due back in court Feb. 21 once he finds an attorney.