Resolution on UIUC Divest tabled indefinitely; ISG passes resolution to support GEO strike

By Cori Lippert, Staff Writer

The resolution to remove UIUC Divest from the referendum ballot is tabled in committee indefinitely, said Andrew Minik, senior in Business and chair of the diversity and inclusion committee, at Wednesday evening’s Illinois Student Government meeting.

UIUC Divest calls on the University to stop supporting companies that normalize, engage in or fund human rights violations; however, it raised controversy on campus because it called on the University to remove support for Israel.

“After hearing the discussion on it, I believe that this is the better solution,” Minik said. “I believe in the free expression of students and the freedom of speech entitled to students on this campus.”

Additionally, ISG passed a resolution to provide support and aid to protesters during the potential Graduate Employees’ Organization strike.

There was also an amendment added to a previously passed resolution allowing the senate to buy Illinois gear in exchange for Chief gear during the Chief buyback event.

Champaign Councilwoman Alicia Beck spoke at the meeting to show support for an advisory group between ISG and the City of Champaign.

“I find it my duty to represent students well in city council and I want to make sure the voices of the students are heard,” Beck said. “Clearly you are members of the community and contribute a lot to the community.”

ISG also awarded emeritus statuses to former Senator David Hanley and former Chief of Staff Spencer Haydary.

Emeritus status is the highest award ISG can give. This award will give these former staff members the chance to come speak at future meetings as a non-voting member.

“Spencer is the reason why I am chief of staff now,” said Susan Zhou, freshman in LAS and current chief of staff. “(He has) great teaching abilities, and (he has a) kind personality. He has really trained me well for this position.”

The senate also proposed a resolution for the renewal of their commitment to create a cultural house called Arab American Cultural Center or Middle Eastern and North African Cultural Center.

Correction: A previous version of this story said the senate proposed a resolution for the renewal of their commitment to create a cultural house called Arab American Cultural Center or Middle Eastern and North American Cultural Center. The Daily Illini regrets this error.