Unofficial 2018: Live updates throughout the day

Friday kicks off the 22nd annual Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. Before heading out for the drinking holiday, be sure to know your rights.

For additional preview coverage, check out The Daily Illini articles, including the Editorial board’s thoughts on Unofficial, our sports editor’s top party picks and some Irish exchange students’ views of the celebrations.

Stay with The Daily Illini for live coverage throughout the day.

4:20 p.m.

Many students are taking advantage of the sunny weather during this year’s Unofficial.

“Due to the nice weather more people are out compared to last year,” Joe Spencer, graduate student in Business, said.

Ken Jiang, senior in LAS, said he feels happier this year because of the weather, and he hopes to spend his last Unofficial with friends.

“Compared to last year, it is just good to see everyone out and not having to worry about the weather,” Jiang said. “Everyone has fun every year.”

Mallory Utich, a 2017 alum, said this year seems less exciting than years past.

I just feel like there isn’t as much hype around it anymore. Everyone is just like been there done that,” Utich said. “This isn’t like a different day than anything else. Not that people normally get drunk at 8am, but then some people do get drunk at 8am.”

10 a.m.

Safewalks is extending its hours of operation today for Unofficial.

You can call safewalks starting at 2 p.m. Normally hours of operation are from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m., but today patrolling and safewalks will be done from 2 p.m. until 3 a.m.

“While we have increased student patrols, police officers, and more security personnel patrolling earlier on campus, it’s really no different than any other day,” Ryan Johnson, security coordinator for the Division of Public Safety, said.

Johnson said the University takes safety and security very seriously and they work hard at ensuring the campus is a safe place year round.

“Today just happens to be a day where we have more personnel on hand. We will again continue to do the best to provide the best service we possibly can to our students and to make campus a safe environment today just like any other day here on campus,” he said.

Elisabeth Neely
Students in green wardrobes head into KAMS to celebrate Unofficial on March 2nd.

9:15 a.m.

University officials sent a Massmail to faculty and administration Feb. 28 noting Unofficial policies.

As in years past, we have made clear to students that academic business will continue as usual on Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day. Instructors are encouraged not to cancel classes,” the Massmail wrote.

It reminded faculty of rules regarding no beverages in large lecture halls, such as Foellinger Auditorium and Lincoln Hall.

Disruptive students should be asked to leave, and “after class, names of disruptive students should be reported to the Office of Student Conflict Resolution.”

Elisabeth Neely
Students set up Unofficial Hydration Stations for Unofficial celebrators to keep them hydrated between bars on March 2nd.

9:05 a.m.

The GEO, which has been striking since Monday, is planning on marching to the South Quad around noon to picket the Education Building until 5 p.m.

“We’re trying to avoid Unofficial, because quite frankly, Unofficial does a good enough job of its own making the provost and the administration look bad on not cracking down on it, because they make money off of it,” Gus Wood, co-president of the GEO, said.

Elisabeth Neely
Unofficial celebrators take advantage of the food trucks set up near Red Lion on Green Street on March 2nd.

8:30 a.m.

It’s currently sunny and 35 degrees outside. Friday’s weather is looking up, compared to last year’s clouds and bitter temperatures; The weather ranged from 19 – 38 degrees. By the afternoon, it’s supposed to be 46 degrees and sunny.

Elisabeth Neely